Don’t Let Flat Feet Frustration Spoil Your Fun
Western boots and flat feet don’t mix… or do they? Check out these options for flat-footed cowboys and cowgirls everywhere.
Focus on brands that provide comfortable insoles and arch support. Ariat is a solid brand thanks to their ATS technology. Any boot with a square toe is a good choice because it gives your feet plenty of room. Look for boots with a shock-absorbing insole. When in doubt, you can also replace the factory insole with a more supportive one designed for flat feet.
Boot Basics: What to Look for in a Riding Boot
One of the most important things to look for is comfort. If the flashy boot makes your feet ache or your heels bleed, you won’t be wearing them for long!
You also want a one-inch heel to prevent your foot from slipping through the stirrup.
Additional Considerations for Flat Feet:
- Shock-absorbing capabilities
- A thick sole that is firm yet flexible
- Consider replacing the factory insole with something more supportive
Our Picks for Flat Feet
|Category||Option||Price Point||Key Features|
|Best Overall Boot||Ariat Women’s Remuda||$$$$||Full-grain leather, very stylish|
|Best Men’s Boot||Ariat Men’s Hybrid Street Side||$$$||Non-slip sole, classic design|
|Best Women’s Boot||Ariat Women’s Heritage Fatbaby||$$||Pure leather, great for riding|
|Best for Summer||Laredo Women’s Keyes Patriotic Snip Toe||$$$||Stars and stripes design, quality leather|
|Best for Winter||Ariat Terrain Pull-On Waterproof Boots||$$$||Multipurpose, lightweight yet durable|
|Best on a Budget||Justin Original Men’s Stampede Work Boots||$$||Great for riding and working, high-quality materials|
|Best for a Splurge||Tin Haul Ladies South by SW Square Toe Boots||$$$$||Hand-painted, premium cow leather lining|
Ariat Women’s Remuda
Ariat is the queen of comfort when it comes to riders with flat feet, thanks to their innovative ATS technology.
This boot combines arch support with a fashionable design.
- Leather boot paired with a non-slip rubber sole
- Great for work and fashion (looks good with dresses, skirts, jeans, etc.)
- No break-in necessary
- The inside of the boot is pink
Ariat Men’s Hybrid Street Side
Ariat created the best of both worlds thanks to the four-layer footbed designed for maximum comfort.
These boots are exceptionally tough yet provide airflow for ventilation.
- Hybrid style design works great for the barn and going out
- Square toe (perfect for flat feet)
- May require a LONG break-in period
Ariat Women’s Heritage Fatbaby
Ariat is a go-to brand for those with flat feet thanks to their ATS arch support technology. These boots will cradle your feet and are comfortable to wear all day long.
They can also be a little bit cooler to wear in the summer, as they have a shorter design.
- Beautiful combo of leather and suede
- Wide, square(ish) toe box
- Suitable for wide and flat feet
- Needs a break-in period
Laredo Women’s Keyes Patriotic Snip Toe
Nothing says summer like this red, white, blue, and tan boot, perfect for a night on the town.
The cushioned insoles provide arch support while keeping you happy on your feet.
- Distressed leather look
- Soft and supple
- Looks great with jeans, skirts, or shorts
- Not the best fit if you have large calves
Ariat Terrain Pull-On Waterproof Boots
These waterproof boots are perfect for keeping your feet warm and dry in winter. Built for snow, muck, and rain, they’ll keep up in any work environment.
An added bonus? They’re great for both chores and riding.
- EVA midsole is shock-absorbing
- ATS arch support technology
- High-traction sole
- The sole lacks the traditional Western look
Justin Original Men’s Stampede Work Boots
While this boot is designed for men, it can also work quite well for women.
The J-flex system is perfect for riders who are on their feet all day.
- Sturdy, non-slip sole
- Removable insole (perfect if you need more or less support)
- Wide, square toe
- Some users report the leather irritated their skin. Thick socks are a good workaround.
Tin Haul Ladies South by SW Square Toe Boots
While you could wear these shoes for barn work, you won’t want to. These fashionable boots are perfect for a night out! The multi-colored design is stunning, and the square toe provides plenty of room for those with flat feet.
Tin Haul puts fun designs on their boot’s soles as well as the more visible parts—be sure to check out the added touch on this pair!
- Low heel (suitable for riding)
- Easy pull-on straps
- Stunning design
- You’ll need some time to properly break them in
Spotlight: Blackrock Leather ‘N’ Rich
Looking for a leather cleaning alternative to saddle soap, mink oil, conditioners, and preservers? Blackrock was founded in 1976 and quickly become a household name—for good reason.
Not only does it breath new life into any finished leather product, Blackrock products are made in the USA. Blackrock is safe to use on boots, shoes, saddles, tack, furniture, car interiors, and everything in between. (Note: Don’t use it on suede or nubuck.)
Plus, the company pledges 1% of sales to the preservation and restoration of the natural environment.
“If it’s leather… use Blackrock!”
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which style of cowboy boots are most comfortable?
For everyday use, roper-style cowboy boots are the most comfortable, thanks to their low heel and short shafts.
Q: Are cowboy boots good for arches?
Technically, no. Cowboy boots lack a midsole, which is what provides arch support. Most people have no problem with this unless they have flat feet or plantar fasciitis.
Q: Can you wear cowboy boots with flat feet?
This depends on your foot and the boot you choose. People with flat feet will benefit from an arch-support insole.
Q: What cowboy boots are good for flat feet?
Don’t let flat feet stop you from enjoying a well-crafted pair of cowboy boots. Whether you choose a brand that’s designed for flat feet or opt to use an insole in a different brand, there’s an option out there for everyone.
P.S. Enjoy this article? Trot on over to:
- Most Comfortable Cowboy Boots for Walking All Day
- Most Comfortable Work Boots for Hurt-Free Feet
- 5 Best Square Toe Boots (Wide and Flat Feet Rejoice!)
- 5 Best Mexican Cowboy Boots for Kicking Up Your Heels
- Best Boots for Western Horseback Riding
- Best Boots for Working Hard & Playing Hard
- 16 Best Cowboy Boots (Men, Women, Riding, Fashion, Work
- 7 Best Cowboy Boots for Arch Support Strugglers
- 7 Best Steel Toe Cowboy Boots for Hard-Working Women
- 10 Best Pull On Work Boots