Brushes for Every Budget
It’s important to keep your horse’s coat clean and healthy, and a great brush can help. There are many different brush brands on the market, so it can be hard to decide which one is best for your horse—until now!
You might have a lot of questions when it comes to grooming horses. What brushes do you need for horses? What makes for a good quality brush? We’ll break down brushing by activity, brush purposes, price points, customer feedback and even brush sizes.
Brush Basics: What to Look For
When looking at quality, the first thing to consider is whether the brush accomplishes its job. Does it look like it will do what it advertises? And does it look like it will hold up over time, or does it seem like something that might last for two grooming sessions and then break?
Some brushes are made of horsehair and lambskin so if you are opposed to using animal products, look for brushes made from synthetic materials.
How many brushes do you really need? Consider stocking your tack box with the following:
- Curry comb
- Stiff-bristled body brush
- Soft-bristled body brush
- Mane and tail brush
- Mane and tail comb
Grooming for Show
- Brushes listed under the everyday grooming kit
- Supplies for braiding your horse’s mane and tail, depending upon your discipline
- Show Sheen and/or Spot Cleaner
Seasonal Grooming Supplies
- De-shedding brushes for spring
- Clippers for winter
Best Brush Brands
|Category||Option||Price Point||Key Features|
|Best Brush Set||Oster 7-piece Horse Grooming Kit||$$-$$$||
|Best Everyday Brush Brand||Tough 1||$$||
|Best Brush Brand for De-Shedding||SleekEZ De-Shedding Tool||$$||
|Best Brush Brand for Horse Shows||Harrison Howard Grooming Kit||$$-$$$||
|Best Brand on a Budget||Roma||$||
|Best Brand for a Splurge||Haas||$$-$$$||
Best Brush Recommendations
Best Brush Set – Oster 7-piece Horse Grooming Kit
This is it if you’re looking for a quality set of brushes for everyday use! Oster is a legend when it comes to pet grooming supplies, and this set lives up to its reputation for quality.
With the curry comb, stiff and soft brushes, hoof pick, and mane and tail combs, you have all the equipment necessary for keeping your horse looking his best!
- Grooming tools are ergonomically designed to promote your comfort while grooming.
- The storage case neatly stores your grooming supplies.
- Set comes in either pink or blue.
- The spikes on the rubber curry comb are a bit far apart, so the comb may not be as effective at removing dirt as other combs.
- The storage bag may not be as durable as others on the market.
Best Everyday Brushes – Tough 1
A division of JT International Distributors, Tough 1 has been around since the 1970s. Their products are widely available and withstand the test of time. They specialize in a wide array of quality English and Western horse products at reasonable prices.
Tough 1 also strives to make products that meet the needs of horses and their owners.
- You can find a wide range of single grooming products or kits online and in stores worldwide.
- Most of their brushes are offered in a variety of fun colors.
- Tough 1 also makes many different styles of grooming totes, so you can find one that best suits your needs!
- Some products may not be as durable as others.
Best for De-Shedding – SleekEZ De-Shedding Tool
Take the hassle out of shedding season with the SleekEZ de-shedding tool! This tool’s patented design grabs loose hair without pulling on your horse’s skin.
It’s a simple yet effective tool that will leave you wondering how you ever survived shedding season without it!
- You can use this tool on dogs, cats, and horses.
- The tool removes hair in a neat line, so you aren’t left with floating hair strands everywhere.
- Many horses, and their owners, find the SleekEZ soothing!
- Although advertised for use with small animals, many cat owners feel it removes too much hair.
Best for Horse Shows – Harrison Howard Grooming Kit
Complete with a plaiting comb and rubber bands, this kit has virtually everything you might need to prepare your horse for a show.
It even comes with a massage glove to work out any pre-show tension your horse may be exhibiting.
- The bag is made of waterproof materials, so you can take the whole kit to the wash rack.
- Contents include a variety of body brushes, sweat scraper, rubber curry comb, mane and tail brushes, combs, hoof pick, and massage gloves.
- Mane and tail combs are made from plastic to reduce hair breakage.
- The bag does not have a zipper or buttons, so it’s easy for items to fall out.
- There are 3 different bristled brushes included, but they don’t have a difference in texture.
Best Brand on a Budget – Roma
Roma offers a range of grooming products at rock-bottom prices. These brushes can make for a great starter set. An added bonus? Many of their products come in fun colors.
Their glitter rubber curry combs are tough to pass up!
- Roma offers single brushes or kits at very reasonable prices.
- Their take on horse grooming is a refreshing change from the usual drab black, gray, and white products offered by other companies.
- Materials may not be as durable as other brands.
- If you’re looking for bland colored brushes, Roma is not your best bet!
Click to see it at State Line Tack
Best Brush Set for a Splurge – H.A.A.S.
Looking for luxury horse grooming brushes? Look no further. You’ll be amazed at how spectacular your horse will look after only one grooming session with these brushes.
As a company, Haas has been manufacturing top-of-the-line grooming products for the last 100 years. They are located in Germany and use only the best products for their brushes.
- You can buy a custom set of brushes matched to your horse’s grooming needs.
- Many brushes come in different sizes to accommodate differences in groomer hand sizes.
- When you order a set, it comes with exact instructions for the order in which the brushes should be used and brush care instructions.
- This line might not be you if you’re looking for budget products.
- Several of their brushes feature horsehair, so you may want to look elsewhere if you prefer synthetic products.
Brush Shopping? Consider These Factors:
When you are shopping for a horse brush, there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
Your Horse’s Coat and Level of Sensitivity
To begin, consider the type of coat that your horse has. There are different brushes designed for different coats, so you will want to ensure that you get one specifically designed for your horse’s coat type.
Some horses are more sensitive than others. Remember this fact when shopping for brushes because a more stiff bristled brush may be great for one horse but irritating for another.
Purpose of the Brush
Next, think about the type of brush and what you want to accomplish with it. All brushes are designed to perform different jobs.
Some brushes are great for removing dirt and mud. In contrast, others are exceptional at providing that final polish before you enter the show ring.
You will need multiple brushes in your grooming kit to keep your horse’s coat shiny and healthy.
Cost is always a factor to consider. You want your horse to look great but don’t necessarily want to break the bank doing it! Most grooming products are reasonably priced, and if it’s made of quality materials, they should withstand the test of time.
Reading customer reviews can be an effective way to understand the brush you’re looking at. It’s always best to read about others’ experiences before purchasing, especially if you’re on the fence about the product.
Focus on the good and bad reviews because a deal breaker for one person might not even be a valid concern for the next.
Finally, consider the size of the brush. Some brushes are designed to be used by people with large hands. And if you have small hands or limitations such as arthritis, using a large brush may be difficult.
Keep your own experience in mind as well when brush shopping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which brushes are good to use on a horse?
There are many great brushes for horses at all budget levels and for all grooming purposes. It’s always best to read the manufacturer’s information and user reviews when shopping for brushes to ensure the brush will work for your horse.
Q: Why are Haas brushes so good? What is the best Haas brush?
Haas brushes are made from high-quality products and designed for specific coat types. They even have a line of brushes made specifically for white and gray horses.
There isn’t one specific best Haas brush because they are all designed with a specific purpose. You can even buy a kit of brushes that will provide you with a well-rounded daily grooming routine.
Q: What are Haas brushes made from?
A variety of materials can be found in Haas brushes. There are brushes made from horsehair, coconut, and even lambskin.
Q: What’s the best soft horse body brush?
The Diva Exclusive brush from Haas is made from a mixture of horsehair and lambskin. It has a silky-smooth feeling that will leave your horse looking like he was groomed by a professional!
Q: What’s the best brush for a horse’s mane and tail?
Tough 1 makes a mane and tail brush that optimizes detangling while minimizing hair breakage. If your horse’s mane and tail are thick, try spraying in a detangler before attempting to brush it out.
Products like Show Sheen are also useful in helping to get tangles out but may not provide the same conditioning qualities as other products.
There are many great brush options for horses—so many that it can certainly be overwhelming! With a little research on brands and products available, you’re sure to find the perfect brushes for your horse. Be sure to consider what will work best for your horse based on his coat type, daily grooming needs, and your budget.
P.S. Enjoy this article? Trot on over to:
- Horse care 101: Turnout blankets vs. stable blankets
- Horse Riding Equipment List: What You Need & What You Don’t
- Down ‘n Dirty Horse Barn Cleaning Tips
- Beginner’s Guide to Horse Hay Nets & Bags
- Horse Riding Gear for Beginners (Quick Print Equipment List)
- The Ultimate Packing & Horse Trailering Checklist
- What Gear Do You Need to Ride Horses as an Adult
- 99 Fun & Incredible Horse Facts for Kids
Get Excited About Haas Horse Brushes! HorseHaus