Focus on your flatwork, not your flat feet
Whoever said diamonds are a girl’s best friend never went to a barn with one. Anyone will tell you that stepping inside a stable with anything but the perfect riding boots on will make you stick out like a sore thumb.
It doesn’t matter if you’re there as a spectator or guest, a barn is often messy and carries the risk of being put to work! Dress appropriately. You may actually ride today instead of doing chores, so your boots should hold up to the task.
Boot Selection Criteria
There are several points that need to be addressed when looking for the best all around boot. This goes beyond the fact of if it has a heel.
- Western vs. English style: Which kind of riding are you doing? Believe it or not, this makes a difference.
- Material: What your boot is made of, and how high quality and durable those materials are.
- Price: Horses are expensive, but do you really need the most expensive boot? It depends.
- Care and Maintenance: Be aware of the level of care you’ll need to take of your boots.
- Comfort: Whether on the ground or in the saddle, you want your boots to be comfortable and supportive.
Best everyday horse riding boots for women
ARIAT Women’s Fatbaby Western Boot
For western riding, the Fatbaby is a great choice for an everyday boot. It has the added benefit of being from one of the most trusted brands in the horse world.
- This is a versatile leather riding boot that comes in many different colors, so whether you’re riding or “choring” you’ll be fine to wear them.
- Ariat is one of the most technologically advanced companies when it comes to boot comfort; this is what they’re known for.
- Great for flat feet.
- It doesn’t come in a wide size in all colors.
- Depending on your size, the price can be a little out of reach.
ARIAT Women’s Scout Zip Paddock
With the company’s reputation among the equestrian world, it’s no surprise that Ariat pops up again on the list with their English riding boot. This is a comfortable comparison to the Fatbaby boot mentioned earlier.
- The liner wicks moisture, which makes it waterproof when you run into bad weather or water obstacles.
- Sleek design so you can get more contact when you ride.
- Elastic fit and zipper helps you move your foot better when giving cues to your horse.
- Fits tight when coming out of the box, so be sure to break them in.
- There have been people who had issues with the zipper.
EQUISTAR All-Weather Synthetic Field Boot
Dressage riders especially will be looking for a tall dressage boot to ride in. With the saying “practice makes perfect” in mind, these riders need to practice like they’re competing every time they’re in the saddle.
- It’s lighter than the average tall boot.
- Has great moisture management.
- The price makes it hard to pass up.
- Narrow in the leg, so it may not work for ladies with wide calves even if you order the wide calf sizes.
- These boots seem to be either a love or hate; there is no in-between.
Roper Horseshoe Kiltie Western Boot
Trail and endurance riders, this is for you. These boots are made to be as durable and tough as their riders, and they’re comfortable on top of that.
- The breathable leather liner makes these great for hot and cold weather.
- Non marking outside means you don’t have to worry about them not looking great for many rides.
- True to size.
- Not waterproof when going through heavy mud and water.
- No steel toe option available.
Best everyday horse riding boots for men
AdTec Oil Resistant Cowboy Boot Packer
This is a great, stylish boot for men who like to be comfortable. It’s a blend of English and Western, which makes it really versatile.
- Made with premium leather, which means it’s going to be comfortable.
- These boots are designed with slip resistance.
- Lace up means it fits most size calves, and they come in wide and regular widths.
- They tend to run small.
- Chestnut and tan are the only color options available.
Ariat Terrain Waterproof Hiking Boot
Did you know that Ariat was named after Secretariat? That’s how serious this company is when it comes to being the best for equestrian’s feet. These boots are made for both riding and hiking, and they’re hard to beat.
- These boots are waterproof, so if you’re on the trail or around the barn your feet are dry.
- Designed to absorb shock.
- Built with a gel-cushioned insole with a great heel stabilizing system.
- Over $100.
- They tend to run wide.
Eastland Daily Double Chelsea Boot
This boot from Eastland is a paddock boot that’s fit for every chore, every day of the week.
- Comes in a variety of colors.
- Slip resistant rubber outsole.
- Prime Wardrobe means you can try them on for free at home for 7 days.
- The leather tends to discolor easily.
- Runs wide.
Mountain Horse Rimfrost Rider III Boots
For the price, this is a great option for men seeking tall boots to ride in. They’re made for doing it all, so long as they’re not worn all around the barn.
- Breathable and waterproof.
- Zipper is designed with elastic implants along it, helping keep you comfortable on the ground and on the horse.
- Made for cold weather, but will also work in heat.
- They tend to run small.
- Not recommended to wear for long periods of walking.
Best everyday horse riding boots for kids
TuffRider Children’s Starter Front Zip Paddock Boots
When it comes to children and horses, it’s best to go with the classics. You never know which direction they’re going to go with riding, so don’t spend an arm and a leg on their first pair of boots. That’s where TuffRider comes in.
- Great for all weather.
- Built in holders for spurs.
- Great price for those who are just starting to dabble in horses.
- Runs small.
- Tends to take a few rides to get them broken in.
bebe Girls’ Western Cowboy Boot with Easy Side Zipper
These are the most versatile boots for the price, and they can be used at the barn or out and about.
- Comes in a variety of colors.
- Speaking of variety, it comes in sizes ranging from toddler to kids.
- The price is great.
- A Zip up short boot likely isn’t going to be easier on the smaller riders.
- Not waterproof.
Bogs Kids Classic High Waterproof Insulated Rubber Rain Boot and Winter Snow Boot
Bogs is a great brand that has a reputation for being one of the best. If you’re looking for something your child can ride in and do barn chores as well as wear when it’s raining, this is it.
- Gender neutral.
- There are so many colors and sizes to choose from.
- Made for hot and cold weather.
- Bulky and wide toe can make it harder to walk in.
Rocky Kids’ Mid Calf Boot
are great for any child who is outdoors. They’re made for barn work, riding, or going to school.
- Sizes range from toddler to big kids.
- Rubber sole and leather means they’re going to last and be comfortable.
- Don’t come in wide sizes.
- Big kid sizes cost less, but all other sizes cost more.
Just like soul mates in people, your sole mate of a boot is out there somewhere. Hopefully this list brings you closer to finding it.
P.S. Enjoy this article? Trot on over to:
- 12 Most Comfortable Cowboy Boots for Walking All Day Long
- These Boots Are Made for Working: Best Pull-On Work Boots
- 13 Best Boots for Horseback Riding Lessons
- 9 Rookie-Approved Horseback Riding Boots for Beginners
- $hit Happens: Best Boots for Mucking Stalls