About the Vlog
Shelby is a Canadian equestrian vlogger, trainer, jumper, and racehorse exercise rider. I’ve watched her channel for years, and seeing Shelby transform rescue horse Milo into a picture of health and a powerful jumper has been inspiring.
Watch the Vlog
Not only does Shelby’s channel showcase day-to-day life with her horses, it includes deep discussions on current events within the equestrian community.
- Shelby: She runs the channel and is the main rider/narrator. She’s also a guest contributor here on HorseRookie.com!
- Shelby’s Mom: Often behind the camera, Shelby’s mom provides endless amusement with her off-screen commentary.
- Milo: Shelby’s main mount and heart horse, Milo, is a Thoroughbred gelding she rescued and trained from scratch. (Side note: He hates birds, and it’s hilarious.)
- Simon: This black and white paint pony was rescued from slaughter and is being trained from the ground up. (Now sold!)
- Roulette: A sweet bay mare, Rue was rescued from slaughter and is also being trained from the ground up. (Now sold!)
- George: This young bay Thoroughbred gelding is off the track and Shelby’s intended Retired Racehorse Project.
Love jumping? Check out Shelby’s article about the 10 Best Stirrups for Jumping.
10 Reasons to Subscribe
- Shelby is a knowledgeable, passionate, and dedicated rider and narrator.
- Her content is a fresh mix of schooling sessions, shows, lessons, barn life, and sit-downs digging into topics like bits, horse rescue, and more.
- She tells it like it is, whether she’s discussing training methods, social media bullies, or competing on a playful horse.
- Shelby is a hard working student, trainer, and daughter. She has struggled for everything she has, takes nothing for granted, and is an inspiration to equestrians who have to get creative to make their dreams happen.
- Wise beyond her years, Shelby surrounds herself with mentors who have given her a solid knowledge base that she now shares with subscribers (e.g. feeding, blanketing, backing young horses).
- Her mom got a shoutout in the Key Players section, but she deserves a second here. She is so supportive, optimistic, proud of Shelby, and clearly in love with each of the horses. She’s even helping train Simon!
- If you don’t know much about the world of racehorses, buckle up. Shelby is a gallop girl (i.e. exercise rider), so you’ll get an insider’s look at training sessions and opinions on the sport from someone with firsthand experience.
- Love Thoroughbreds? You’re in the right place. You’ll get to know several off-the-track and/or rescue Thoroughbreds and watch them build new skills as jumpers.
- Shelby gives honest opinions about the horse and rider gear she has tried or currently uses. (She even put together an equestrian gift guide here.)
- In addition to her YouTube channel, she’s active on her own blog and goes deeper into her personal struggles and triumphs.
Love this vlog? Help spread the word by sharing this post on Pinterest!
Horse Rookie’s Top 5 Playlist
Not sure where to start? Here are 5 videos that help give you a sense of the content and decide if this channel is right for you.
- About All My Horses and Pets
- Free Jumping My Rescue Horse
- Jumping a 3-Foot Course With My Horse
- My Slaughter Rescue Horses
- Cross Country Schooling Day
Sample Video[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLEbkfjaIT4]
How to Watch
If you’re interested in watching this channel, click below to see it on YouTube.Watch the Vlog Return to Media Guide Shop Riding Essentials on Amazon
P.S. If you enjoy this vlog, you might also like:
- Young Black Equestrians Podcast
- Shelby Dennis on the Best 15 Equestrian Vloggers
- Shelby Dennis and Milo’s Equestrian Gift Guide
- Shelby Dennis on the Best 10 Stirrups for Jumping
- Shelby Dennis: Best Horse Riding Advice & Biggest Rookie Mistakes
- 6 Best Horse Riding Body Protectors for Unplanned Dismounts
- How to Ride and Show Horses Without a Trust Fund