Equestrian Advice: This is part of our Letter to My Rookie Self series, an open letter equestrian reflection project. Learn more and/or submit your own letter here.
Dear Rookie Self,
I wish your journey with horses is filled with happiness. I hope you know it’s okay to take it slow.
You don’t need to impress anyone—you just need to do what’s right for you.
Your connection with horses is the most important thing. You fell in love with horses first and the sport second. You only fell in love with the sport because you were in love with horses.
Goals and aspirations are great, as long as they are yours, not influenced by anyone else.
Remember to thank your horse and be proud of your partnership and accomplishments. If only everyone was so lucky to be able to have the best partner in the world—the horse.
P.S. Enjoy this article? Trot on over to:
- Write Your Own Letter to My Rookie Self
- Media Guide: Young Black Equestrians Podcast
- Braided: A Herd Dynamic (Horse Rookie Diversity Initiative)
- Letter to My Rookie Self: Emily Harris
- Letter to My Rookie Self: Sarah Harris
- Small Business Spotlight: The Positive Equestrian