About the Vlog
If you’re looking for an entirely different type of equestrian vlog, check out DaybyDay. This channel follows the journey of a Canadian family as they get started in the equine world and learn to ride and care for their own horses. Mom Laura and daughters Gabby and Sophia are the main trio featured in these daily vlogs.
Watch the Vlog
This is the only equestrian vlog I’ve found that features an entire family unit learning about horse ownership simultaneously. Their openness and honesty about being “Horse Rookies” makes this channel a must-watch.
- Laura: She runs the channel and is the main narrator and mother of Gabby and Sophia.
- Sam: He’s the dad and typically less involved in the day-to-day horse activities. But he’s very supportive!
- Gabby: She’s the older sister and learning to ride and jump her sweet horse Storm.
- Sophia: She’s the younger sister and learning all-things-horsey with her pretty mare Stella.
- Storm: This dark bay Quarter Horse was purchased for Gabby, though he’s also become a steady, sweet, and safe teacher for Sophie.
- Stella (Rest in Peace): This black and white paint mare was initially Sophia’s mount, but she became Laura’s partner later in life. Unfortunately, Stella passed away suddenly in late 2019.
- Finn: Sophia’s palomino pony is a fan favorite for his sweet demeanor and love for “his girl.”
- Cappuccino (“Chino”): Gabby’s new horse is a 16.3hh dark bay Appendix (Thoroughbred x Quarter Horse). She plans to show him in hunter jumpers on the Trillium circuit.
- Willow: Purchased to be Stella’s companion, this mini horse mare loves to give kisses.
- Gracie: This palomino pony is the newest addition to the herd and is Willow’s bestie.
Read Laura’s heartfelt account of her first call off Stella in Coming Back from a Fall (Part I).
10 Reasons to Subscribe
- This is a family-friendly and family-centric vlog that’s perfect for young and adult Horse Rookies.
- If you have a horse-crazy kiddo (or you are one!), you’ll especially appreciate the parent/child dynamics in this vlog. Laura and Sam are big supporters of their daughters’ equestrian dreams, and they showcase the ups and downs of parenting horse-obsessed children.
- DaybyDay is a powerhouse publisher! As the name implies, they publish a new vlog daily, so you’ll always have fun content in your feed.
- The entire family is open and honest about being beginners, and they’re not afraid to ask for help, admit they have questions, or show their mistakes along the journey.
- Gabby and Storm are learning to jump, and they’re also working on having him work in a more round and forward frame.
- Sophia and Finn have a strong partnership, and they’re working through his behavioral challenges and Sophia’s nerves in the saddle. (P.S. I can relate! That’s why I wrote about 32 Things You Can Do Now to Calm Your Nerves Forever.)
- Laura loves learning to ride and care for the horses, and she treats them as part of the family. She’s also great about explaining parenting decisions related to Gabby and Sophia’s time at the barn.
- They just moved to their first farm! If you’re interested in what it’s like to live on a farm and have your horses at home, stay tuned.
- This vlog includes a ton of lesson raws, so you can learn a lot by watching these rides and listening to the commentary.
- It’s lighthearted and fun. Unlike some other equestrian vlogs that follow professional competitors, DaybyDay keeps things upbeat, funny, and friendly. #becauseCanada
Love this vlog? Help spread the word by sharing this post on Pinterest!
Horse Rookie’s Top 5 Playlist
Not sure where to start? Here are 5 videos that help give you a sense of the content and decide if this channel is right for you.
- One Year with Horses
- Is This Our Horse?
- Jump Schooling
- Camping With Our Horses
- Laura Canters Stella the First Time
Sample Video[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TGW38GZHCo]
How to watch
If you’re interested in watching this channel, click below to see it on YouTube.Watch the Vlog Return to Media Guide Shop Riding Essentials on Amazon
P.S. If you’re a Horse Rookie looking for advice, you might also enjoy:
- DaybyDay Vlogs: Laura on Coming Back From a Fall (Part 1)
- DaybyDay Vlogs: Laura on Coming Back From a Fall (Part 2)
- Horseback Riding: What to Wear (And What NOT to Wear)
- 32 Things You Can Do Now to Calm Your Nerves Forever
- 9 Rookie Approved Horseback Riding Boots for Beginners
- 13 Best Horseback Riding Boots for Lessons